Thursday 8 September 2022

Bikepacking - Ferry from Santander to Plymouth

Day # 71 State of Legs :-)

Distance (miles) Distance (km) Ascent (feet) Ascent (metres) Punctures
Today 1 miles km 0 feet metres 0
Trip Totals 2680 miles km 120232 feet metres 0


Today's Route
Route So Far

Travelogue

Today's blog post is a pretty simple one. I caught a ferry from Santander to Plymouth and officially started the journey home.

The ferry port was less than a mile from the apartment and easy to get to on cycle paths. Once inside, I was directed to queue in a lane with other two-wheelers. Motorcyclists, every single one of them (at first) except me! But they were a welcoming bunch and a few of them came over to ask about the bike and my journey. Apparently some motorcyclists also cycle. Who knew?







A few other bikepackers turned up, so I joined them on the off-chance that Brittany Ferries had some kind of system in mind for boarding cyclists alongside all the motorcycles and despite first impressions which suggested they most decidedly did not!


Boarding turned out to be easy enough and soon I was in my cabin. To my surprise, I had a tiny but very welcome en suite "bathroom" with toilet, washbasin and shower. It did mention this on my ticket but I hadn't noticed.



I went up on deck to watch us leave Santander.


Loads of quite large fish appeared from under the ferry as we started off


Centro Botín from the sea


I went back to my cabin and settled in. Within 10 minutes, it really felt like we were at sea, with the ship rolling slowly one way and then the other. Luckily it didn't get too bad. The Bay of Biscay has a reputation for generating sea sickness!

I read for a while and finished my fourth Cormac McCarthy book of this trip, All The Pretty Horses and start the second book of his border trilogy, The Crossing

I had a comfortable night in the cabin and got a fair amount of sleep. We docked in Plymouth at 11:30 a.m. the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment