Saturday 10 September 2022

Bikepacking - Exeter to Yeovil

Day # 73 State of Legs :-)

Distance (miles) Distance (km) Ascent (feet) Ascent (metres) Punctures
Today 50 miles km 3045 feet metres 0
Trip Totals 2787 miles km 127388 feet metres 0


Today's Route
Route So Far

Travelogue

Yesterday's cycling, the first back in England, was a bit underwhelming to say the least. Way too much traffic and not helped by weather I'm just not accustomed too after being rained on only once in the preceding 10 weeks!

Today was much better and I crossed from Devon into lovely Somerset. Most of today, I cycled country lanes and the weather was much better.

I didn't get off to the best of starts though! I'd had to make a significant detour to get from my route to yesterday's campsite and so the first task today was to find a way back onto my route. I'd inspected the map the day before and identified a suitable way through small, country lanes heading north east and started cycling them early this morning. 

To begin with, it was rather pleasant! But very soon, I was on a rough and muddy lane and probably should have smelled a rat right away but didn't and carried on regardless!






The high hedges prevented me seeing around bends. But at the next one, this is what I came up against!

Without wishing to be technical, this is called a dead end!

And this, dear reader, is a lesson in Attention To Detail, which had been lacking when I prepared my detour yesterday! Because if only I'd zoomed in close enough on the map, I'd have seen that this lane didn't pass under or over the main road on the map!


See?

Never mind. I turned around and found an alternative way around which didn't involve too much effort and carried on. 

The cycling today was quite enjoyable although as I feared, my legs were feeling it a bit after yesterday's 4,111 feet of ascent. And today wasn't without hills exactly.






I stopped at a cafe in the village of Shepton Beauchamp and had lunch. Very nice.


Coffee, pasta with pesto and a cheese and onion pastie. A classic combo. And all they had that was meat-free!

More quaint cottages

A view

Today, I'm camping at a site that belongs to a pub called the Masons Arms near to Yeovil. 



No camping mush tonight. Instead I shall be sampling the delights on offer at the Masons Arms.

Update

A delicious fish and chips was just enjoyed without at any point being attacked by evil seagulls!


No comments:

Post a Comment