Monday 8 August 2022

Bikepacking - Audinac to Capvern

Day # 40 State of Legs :-)

Distance (miles) Distance (km) Ascent (feet) Ascent (metres) Punctures
Today 68 miles km 2411 feet metres 0
Trip Totals 1893 miles km 74004 feet metres 0


Today's Route
Route So Far

Travelogue

Today's cycling continued my westward journey across the Pyrenees regions of France. The route was largely on quiet roads but included some of the nice cycle path of yesterday (or one very much like it).

To begin with, I stayed in a valley and close to a river. Consequently it was fairly flat.

The clothes which I'd washed yesterday had unfortunately not dried and so The Mule acted as a mobile drying rack (which worked rather well - is there no end to what The Mule can do?).








For some reason, this morning I was hungry despite having two bananas before I set off. So, I ended up having not one, not two but three pain au chocalates today! Or did I? The two I bought at a supermarket were labelled pain au chocolat. But when the one I ordered for with my coffee at a cafe later that morning was delivered, it was referred to as a chocalatine! What is this? Some strange new food masquerading as my much loved pain au chocolat?! No, not at all. I'd been told/warned about this but forgotten until this morning. One of the HomeCamper hosts I'd stayed with in northern France, Bryce had told me that in a small part of southern France, pain au chocolat was called chocolatine and nowhere else in France. He seemed as appalled as I was at this deviant behaviour! It did taste good though, it has to be said!

All morning, I had mountains to the left of me, fields to the right and here I was, stuck in the middle with The Mule. Apologies of course to Stealers Wheel for that one!

I passed through a number of villages, many with nice churches like the one below. And there were Roman piles too... which I assume means ruins,




Snazzy equine headgear


Piles!


Possibly the river Garonne






Not sure what cycle route the 81 refers to...

I took a break here

I saw dozens of circling birds of prey over the fields today. I can't say for sure but they looked like the buzzards we have at home. I got a poor photo of this bird perched up high. It was making regular calls and my bird song recognition app reckoned it was a Black Kite. Might have been. Might not.


There was no sign of any shops on my map at the village of Capvern so I had to make a 5 mile detour, complete with big hills to get food. Had to be done.

But finally I arrived at today's campsite. It's a low key, 2 star place and half empty. Exactly as I like my campsites to be!



Here's today's profile:




No comments:

Post a Comment