Thursday 28 July 2022

Bikepacking - Rest day #2 in Draguignan - 4 week milestone

Day # 29 State of Legs :-)

Distance (miles) Distance (km) Ascent (feet) Ascent (metres) Punctures
Today 0 miles km 0 feet metres 0
Trip Totals 1274 miles km 54690 feet metres 0


Today's Route
Nothing to see here!
Route So Far

Travelogue

Today is a rest day again, ahead of what looks like a pretty hilly couple of days. But it's also a milestone day. Yesterday marked a total of four weeks on the road. I've cycled in England, France, right across Switzerland (including the Swiss Alps!), Italy and am now back in France, way down in the south of the country, heading west towards Spain. 

It's hard for me to believe I've covered so much ground (literally) in four weeks. 1274 miles / 2050 km. 54,690 feet of hard won ascent (16,670 metres). Incredible, if only by my own feeble standards!

In those 28 days I've cycled for 22 days and had 6 days rest. I've averaged 58 miles / 92 km per day. The furthest cycled in one day was 93 miles / 148 km from Bellinzona in Switzerland to Milano in Italy. This was also the day my phone decided to (almost) melt! The most ascent in one day was achieved not in the Swiss Alps as you might expect. In fact, it was on the the route from Rossana to Garessio in Italy which involved a gruelling 4,508 feet / 1,374 metres ascent and passed through Colle di Casotto in the Ligurian Alps.

Wow! And I still have a long way to go. How far is hard to say as my intentions are less definite regarding Spain. But it's likely I'm at roughly the halfway point here. Time will tell.

I've just browsed through the 742 photos I've taken so far and picked out a few that caught my eye for one reason or another. The journey so far!

Folkestone, just before the Attack of the Seagulls

First day in France, approaching Vimy

Crossing beautiful north-eastern France, near Rethel

Neufchateau

Wheat fields near Vittel

Basel, Switzerland shortly after crossing the border from France

Lake Luzerne from Fluelen

Climbing from Fluelen to Andermatt

Camping in Andermatt

Home Sweet Home in Andermatt

The incredible Tremola road in Switzerland

A bike's eye view of the Tremola

Giornico, Switzerland

The irrigated farmland of northern Italy

The nightmare sandy trails of Italy!

The canal path where I didn't ignore No Entry signs and didn't physically lift my bike over a high, locked gate

Just outside Torino

Best campsite so far - http://www.agricampeggiomonviso.com/en/ in Rossana

Relaxing under the trees

My view - bliss

One of several excellent breakfasts on the road



In the Ligurian Alps, biggest ascent so far

The Milano-Sanremo Tunnel Gallery in Sanremo

Ospedaletti, Italy en route to the French border

Menton, France

A lovely bridge in Fayence, France

And lest we forget.....

A question often asked and in two languages (so far!)

From here, my route continues west, passing through Montpellier and Perpignan. At Perpignan I will decide whether to continue on Eurovelo EV8 and follow the coast to Barcelona or go further west, parallel with the Pyrenees before crossing them into Spain. Either sounds pretty good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment