Saturday 25 July 2020

Testing the Bike and Luggage Solution

Having made numerous changes to my bike and settled on a solution for carrying all my stuff, I decided it would make sense to test everything out. How would the bike handle with all that weight strapped to it? How would my legs cope, riding a bike so much heavier than my carbon-framed road bike, before I even attached all that luggage? There was only one way to find out.

So, one morning quite recently, I packed everything I expected to take on a multi-day bikepacking trip, including my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, a peg hammer and more. I even had a computer and my Kindle. So when I say everything I really do mean everything! I mounted my panniers and rack pack onto the bike and set off into the Kent countryside, with the intention of riding 50 miles. This was a circular ride with no overnight stay, and purely intended to answer those initial questions about the bike and my legs. I'll test out my camping gear and overnight stays another time.

My route took me through countryside, mostly on quiet roads. There are only a few moderately significant hills on the route, but only one I'd describe as challenging, with a gradient of about 10%. In total, the route included about 3,000 feet of ascent. Compared with some of the bikepacking routes I'd like to cycle one day, this is also very modest. But it's a start.



So how did it go? In short, it went really well! I adopted an entirely different cycling style to my usual. No pushing it. No thinking about elapsed time, average speed or Strava personal records! On uphill stretches, I went slowly. On downhill sections, I coasted. I treated my legs gently and just enjoyed the ride and the surroundings. And this is the way to do it, no doubt. Overall I averaged about 11 mph. This is slow compared to what I'm used to on the road bike, obviously. But that's only to be expected and when your goal is to enjoy the ride and the environment, rather than to break records or meet deadlines, it's more than good enough.

 

I was aware of the weight I was carrying, but it didn't feel heavy as such. In fact it was only really noticeable when going uphill.

The bike handled perfectly. I wasn't aware of any change in its handling at all. I was aware I was probably a little back-heavy and careful to avoid accidental wheelies on steeper uphill sections, but never felt that might actually happen.

And on return home, my legs felt absolutely fine. Definitely a successful first test!

On Farthing Downs, nice and early in the morning


In Kent, ready to turn around and return!




No comments:

Post a Comment