Thursday 18 August 2022

Bikepacking - Haro to Burgos

Day # 50 State of Legs :-|

Distance (miles) Distance (km) Ascent (feet) Ascent (metres) Punctures
Today 49 miles km 3031 feet metres 0
Trip Totals 2269 miles km 99223 feet metres 0


Today's Route
Route So Far

Travelogue

Today started in the most novel way. It rained! OK, not much but for the first couple of hours it drizzled on and off. On me. So, I wore my rain jacket for much of the morning. It was quite cold as well! For a while, we've been slowly ascending so today I think I was at between 3,500 and 4,000 feet when at the highest point of the ride, so that perhaps accounts for the chill to some extent. But this is Spain. In mid-August. I didn't expect to be feeling cold!

I had decided yesterday that I'd avoid cycling on the off-road parts of the Camino de Santiago. It's rough, slow and just not enjoyable. But it wasn't possible to avoid it completely, so I spent some time bumping along the camino. It wasn't as bad as yesterday, to be fair.

Most of the remainder of the time, I cycled in the N-120. It's a fast road, a bit like an A road in the UK, with a hard shoulder to cycle in at all times. Ironically, most of the time, the camino walking trail was right by the road. So it's not like I missed anything. When it wasn't right next to the road, it wasn't far away. It can't be much fun walking this section, never mind cycling it, with the sight and sound of traffic there all the time.

The rain stopped after a couple of hours and I found myself a place with coffee and whatever the Spanish for pain au chocolat is. It's probably "pain au chocolat" I guess!

There was no headwind today like there was yesterday, so it wasn't as hard and soul-destroyingly slow. It was still slow. Or more accurately, I was still slow! But that's because my legs were a little tired from yesterday's exertions in the headwind and most of the ride was uphill.

Still, I reached Burgos in sunshine, did some grocery shopping and went to the campsite for which I had no reservation (they didn't accept them) and.... they had a space for me, which is always a relief. It's a nice, spacious and green campsite. With terrible Wi-Fi. But then it is a campsite :-)

Here's today's profile, followed by a few photos:


Swallows

Location is everything. Great place to build a nest!



The Camino de Santiago, following the main highway




Eurovelo 1 sign




Coffee time

Yes, this is part of Camino de Santiago - look, there's a sign!

I still don't know what the "windows" in the cliffs are


Today's destination




No comments:

Post a Comment