Saturday 9 July 2022

Bikepacking - Maxonchamps to Mulhouse

Day # 10 State of Legs :-)

Distance (miles) Distance (km) Ascent (feet) Ascent (metres) Punctures
Today 54 miles km 1250 feet metres 0
Trip Totals 563 miles km 22947 feet metres 0


Today's Route
Route So Far

Travelogue

Something dramatic happened today. That should get you hooked ;-)

I set off at about 7:00 this morning with the city of Mulhouse my destination. The first 14 miles of the route followed the very pleasant and easy to ride cycle path I'd rode in on yesterday. It turns out it has a name and is the Hautes-Vosges greenway.




There was a steady, gentle climb pretty much the whole of the greenway, barely noticeable. But not long after the greenway had ended and I had rejoined roads, I hit the start of what I was expecting to be my first real climb of the trip. During planning, I'd noticed it and had come away with the impression it was a big, long climb. It turned out not to be that big a deal, to be honest. The climb was probably no more than two to three miles and never particularly steep. The descent was much longer and great fun!

Near the start of the "big" climb



To put it into context, here's the profile for the whole route. You can see the not so big climb is the steepest part of the hill starting around the 15 mile mark.


The road took me along the river and through the occasional picturesque village. There was even an area of vineyards.





At one point, cycling by the river, I saw a White Stork and was finally able to grab a photo, albeit a fairly poor one. It was good enough for the Merlin Bird ID app to confirm it was a White Stork though.


I found myself on a cycle path once again and saw a sign which revealed it was actually a part of Eurovelo Route EV5! This route passes right through Switzerland and I will be following it from Basel.

The "5" in an EU style ring is the Eurovelo EV5 symbol

It's been chilly in the night quite a few times on this trip. I have a system of layers which keeps me warm though. But this morning, it was very cold to the point that my fingers were hurting with the chill. It got me wondering about the Swiss Alps and what the temperature might be like early in the mornings. For nighttime, I have lots of layers including thermal leggings and a hat to wear. Or so I thought. There's no sign of my hat though! I assume it's at home, still waiting to be packed!

Anyway, thinking ahead to the Swiss Alps, I made a detour to a big Decathlon store on the edge of Mulhouse and bought a lightweight merino wool hat and a pair of gloves. Better to have them and not need them etc.

I cycled through Mulhouse, a proper city with traffic and people and everything. Even the smell of weed here and there! Yes, I can't wait to be back in the countryside!

I found my campsite but decided to go and get provisions before checking in. Provisions acquired, I checked-in at reception and went and pitched my tent. This is a municipal campsite and larger than ones I've used so far but it's green, spacious and the facilities are good. The showers are hot, cold drinks are available, there's free wifi and a place you can sit and update your blog like I am now!


 And finally, a word for a fallen hero. Well, not hero. And not exactly fallen either. More like Failed Equipment.


Alas, my spork is no more! I can squeeze a bit more use out of the two halves of course but I think I need to replace it when I get a chance!


Oh and the dramatic incident? Brace yourself because.... today.......

........

I raised my saddle. A bit!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment