Friday 24 September 2021

New saddle, new mudguard

The title probably says it all. As mentioned earlier in this blog, I've been disappointed by the Spa Cycles Aire Titanium leather saddle I'd put on my touring bike after reading so many positive accounts of leather saddles in general and in particular for touring. Despite lots of loving leather care and hundreds and hundreds of miles sitting on the thing, it's just not for me. Not for my bottom anyway! And after the last bikepacking trip I decided enough was enough and that I needed to change it.

So I did yet more research and have gone for what might be regarded as the polar opposite of a leather saddle. No more olde worlde saddle design for me. Instead, uber-modern and radical. Oh yes. So what did I get?

I bought an ISM PR 2.0 which is classified as a Performance Recreation saddle meaning you can use it for pretty much any type of cycling whereas other saddles in the ISM range are designed for more specific purposes such as triathlons. 

ISM PR 2.0 with short, split nose for less squishing

What's special about the ISM saddles is that they're very much designed for men who wish to put their intimate squishy bits under considerably less load, what with their intimacy, squishiness and a rather important nerve down there which after a lengthy period of being squished under load can result in numbness. Temporary in most cases but not nice nevertheless. You can read all about the issues here.

The PR 2.0 came with clear instructions and was easy to fit. In most ways, fitting this saddle is no different to fitting any other. But it has no "nose" i.e. the narrow part at the front that sticks forwards between your legs, so you have to make sure you don't fit it too far forwards. It also results in you sitting about 5mm higher so the recommendation is to lower your seat post by 5mm to compensate. 

The ISM PR 2.0 is also 100g lighter than the Spa leather saddle it replaced. Score!

I have mine fitted but not yet tested out. I'll report back when I've decided whether I like it or not!



It was suggested to me that I add a front mudguard too and given how light plastic ones are and the likelihood of spending many hours in the pouring rain at some point (in fact I've already had that experience on a previous trip) it seemed like a no-brainer. So I bought a Crud Front XL Fender which was a doddle to fit, seems to weigh nothing and will hopefully do the job.






No comments:

Post a Comment