Sunday 19 July 2020

Getting the Bike Ready - Tyres

Having selected my mountain bike as the bike I will use for touring, I set about making improvements to it.

Tyres

First on my list of changes was the tyres. My Rockhopper Expert came with big, 29x2.1" tyres which are great on muddy trails but generate a lot of friction on the road, which you can really feel. I wanted to reduce that friction but retain the ability to ride forest trails, trails made of compacted earth and so on. In other words, pretty much any trail except for deep, wet and muddy trails. I also wanted a tyre that was resistant to punctures because as everyone knows, PUNCTURES SUCK!

I researched fast rolling MTB tyres and eventually selected Schwalbe G-One Allround RaceGuard Folding Road Tyres, which despite the road tyre designation are designed for gravel, forest paths and fields as well as for road.  

I've probably ridden about 700 miles on these tyres so far and I'm really pleased with them. They are so much faster than the original tyres! And so far.... touch wood.... I've not had a single puncture. Long may that continue to be the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment